Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework


Zapatos viejos

 

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 13, 2010, 07:20 PM
laepelba's Avatar
laepelba laepelba is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Suburbs of Washington, DC (Northern Virginia)
Posts: 4,683
Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Question Zapatos viejos

Las direcciones: Una persona desconocida se enfrentó a cinco situaciones hipotéticas. Responde qué habrías hecho tú en esas situaciones.

No entiendo a o b en número 3:

Quote:
3) Devolvió los zapatos después de usarlos una semana.
a) Habría pedido un par nuevo.
b) Me habría quedado con los zapatos viejos.
Does it mean:
He/She returned shoes after using them for a week.
a) I would have asked for a new pair.
b) I would have kept the old shoes.

???

I really don't understand. Choice "a" is supposed to be the virtuous choice. Choice "b" is supposed to be the less-than-honest choice. I don't see how "a" is the virtuous, unless I don't really understand the meaning. And I don't see what in the world "b" has to do with the context.

Help! (Thanks!)
__________________
- Lou Ann, de Washington, DC, USA
Específicamente quiero recibir ayuda con el español de latinoamerica. ¡Muchísimas gracias!
Reply With Quote
   
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
  #2  
Old August 13, 2010, 07:46 PM
JPablo's Avatar
JPablo JPablo is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,579
Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Well, I try to understand it myself, but I am hitting the same 'conundrum'... Your translations seem accurate...
(Do you have any more context?)
Option a) may be "virtuous" if you return the old shoes, and 'order' a new pair. I.e., I guess you send back the shoes (even if they are used for a week) and then pay for a new pair (?) [I take you don't get your money back from the ones you used for a week, and these can be given to someone... as in charity...]

Like Italians say "Bo! No lo so!" (Well, I don't know...)

(Let's see some more context, and/or see if another 'forero' has more inspiration.)
__________________
Lo propio de la verdad es que se basta a sí misma, aquel que la posee no intenta convencer a nadie.
"An enemy is somebody who flatters you. A friend is somebody who criticizes the living daylights out of you."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 13, 2010, 09:54 PM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Las direcciones: Una persona desconocida se enfrentó a cinco situaciones hipotéticas. Responde qué habrías hecho tú en esas situaciones.

No entiendo a o b en número 3:



Does it mean:
He/She returned shoes after using them for a week.
a) I would have asked for a new pair.
b) I would have kept the old shoes.

???

I really don't understand. Choice "a" is supposed to be the virtuous choice. Choice "b" is supposed to be the less-than-honest choice. I don't see how "a" is the virtuous, unless I don't really understand the meaning. And I don't see what in the world "b" has to do with the context.

Help! (Thanks!)
There is no context as you have presented it. Much of the explanation of what the exercise is unknown....

Now you surmise that choice "b" is a less-than-honest one. Why?

Just the way it is presented I can make this out:

The person returned the shoes after a week of using them ( trying them out)

A) the person asked for a new pair to try.
B) the person realized that these are not good shoes or whatever...

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old August 14, 2010, 01:38 AM
Perikles's Avatar
Perikles Perikles is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tenerife
Posts: 4,814
Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
The only way I can make any sense of this is to assume two choices:

1. Demand new shoes
2. Put up with the shoes bought last week.

In which case los zapatos viejos are only one week old, which is not very old for shoes. Although a woman might think otherwise....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 14, 2010, 02:59 AM
laepelba's Avatar
laepelba laepelba is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Suburbs of Washington, DC (Northern Virginia)
Posts: 4,683
Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
Well, I try to understand it myself, but I am hitting the same 'conundrum'... Your translations seem accurate...
(Do you have any more context?)
Option a) may be "virtuous" if you return the old shoes, and 'order' a new pair. I.e., I guess you send back the shoes (even if they are used for a week) and then pay for a new pair (?) [I take you don't get your money back from the ones you used for a week, and these can be given to someone... as in charity...]

Like Italians say "Bo! No lo so!" (Well, I don't know...)

(Let's see some more context, and/or see if another 'forero' has more inspiration.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
There is no context as you have presented it. Much of the explanation of what the exercise is unknown....

Now you surmise that choice "b" is a less-than-honest one. Why?

Just the way it is presented I can make this out:

The person returned the shoes after a week of using them ( trying them out)

A) the person asked for a new pair to try.
B) the person realized that these are not good shoes or whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
The only way I can make any sense of this is to assume two choices:

1. Demand new shoes
2. Put up with the shoes bought last week.

In which case los zapatos viejos are only one week old, which is not very old for shoes. Although a woman might think otherwise....
I gave you as much of the context as I was given. There were five questions. Each presented a one sentence statement of a conundrum, followed by two choices, (a) and (b). You were supposed to choose which (a or b) you would do in the given situation. At the end of the exercise, it says that if you chose (a) 3 to 5 times, "eres un(-a) ciudadano(a) responsable, generoso(a) y hoesto(a)" ... and that if you chose (a) 1 or 2 times, "tienes dudas en cuanto a tus responsabilidades como ciudadano(a)."

I know that there are some people who will buy a new item of clothing, wear it briefly, and then return it for full cash refund. Many women do that with dresses that they cannot afford but they need something "nice" for a special event. They buy the dress they cannot afford, wear it to the event, then return it for a refund. I assume that this question is asking something along those lines: Would I return a pair of shoes I have worn for a week, expecting a refund? What I don't understand is exactly what the (a) and (b) mean in this situation.

By the way, in a "vocabulario útil" box next to the exercise, it says that "quedarse con" means "to keep"...
__________________
- Lou Ann, de Washington, DC, USA
Específicamente quiero recibir ayuda con el español de latinoamerica. ¡Muchísimas gracias!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 14, 2010, 04:04 AM
Perikles's Avatar
Perikles Perikles is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tenerife
Posts: 4,814
Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
I see why you are baffled. I think they must have their responses the wrong way round.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 14, 2010, 06:29 AM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
I see why you are baffled. I think they must have their responses the wrong way round.
I agree. It doesn't make sense. Can you post the rest of the questions?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 14, 2010, 06:41 AM
laepelba's Avatar
laepelba laepelba is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Suburbs of Washington, DC (Northern Virginia)
Posts: 4,683
Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
The rest of them are super-obvious....

Quote:
1) La vendedora le entregó diez dólares extra.
a) Habría devuelto el dinero.
b) No habría dicho nada.

2) Rompió una lámpara en la sección de muebles.
a) Habría avisado al gerente.
b) Habría ido a otro departamento.

3) **El número en la primer entrada**

4) Ganó un premio de cinco mil dólares.
a) Habría donado una cantidad a la Cruz Roja.
b) Habría puesto todo el dinero en el banco.

5) Vio a un ladrón salir de una joyería.
a) Habría cooperado con la policía.
b) No habría dicho nada a nadie.
Does that help?
__________________
- Lou Ann, de Washington, DC, USA
Específicamente quiero recibir ayuda con el español de latinoamerica. ¡Muchísimas gracias!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 14, 2010, 11:48 AM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
The rest of them are super-obvious....



Does that help?
Yes, but still the one being discussed not get any clearer...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 14, 2010, 11:52 AM
laepelba's Avatar
laepelba laepelba is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Suburbs of Washington, DC (Northern Virginia)
Posts: 4,683
Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Yes, but still the one being discussed not get any clearer...
Exactly! That's why I didn't include the others in my original post. I am just going to drop it. If my friends who are native Spanish-speakers think the exercise is confusing, then I will disregard it.
__________________
- Lou Ann, de Washington, DC, USA
Específicamente quiero recibir ayuda con el español de latinoamerica. ¡Muchísimas gracias!
Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
¿Tus zapatos? ¡No los tires al suelo! laepelba Translations 13 April 12, 2010 08:09 AM
Yo no hablo cuando llevo zapatos planos Perikles Idioms & Sayings 32 November 15, 2009 08:37 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

X