Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Don Quixote, revisited

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old September 02, 2010, 12:14 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Don Quixote, revisited

As an interesting drill, rather than take this 'humongous' book "in full", we can analyze, and talk about it sentence by sentence... A good mathematician can calculate how long will it take to go over the whole book... and if it can be done in a lifetime, but the purpose here is have fun while learning Spanish/English (and maybe some "Latin"), as well as posing questions in regards current Spanish usages, which may be helpful in terms of getting better acquainted with usages and most of all, be able to communicate more efficiently... (If these are not lofty goals, and maybe a bit idealistic ones, fitting Chivalry codes, then I don't know what it would be...)

Here is the first sentence (+title included),
(Taken from http://www.online-literature.com/cer...don_quixote/5/)

CHAPTER I

WHICH TREATS OF THE CHARACTER AND PURSUITS OF THE FAMOUS GENTLEMAN DON QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA

In a village of La Mancha, the name of which I have no desire to call to mind, there lived not long since one of those gentlemen that keep a lance in the lance-rack, an old buckler, a lean hack, and a greyhound for coursing.

(Spanish taken from http://www.spanisharts.com/books/quijote/capitulo1.htm)
Que trata de la condición y ejercicio del famoso y valiente hidalgo don Quijote de la Mancha.

En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor.

"Latin" translation of the first sentence of Don Quixote, (included just for the fun of it) (taken from
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a
“In isto capítulo tratatur de qua casta pajarorum erat dóminus Quijotus et de cosis in quibus matabat tempus.

In uno lugare manchego, pro cujus nómine non volo calentare cascos, vivebat facit paucum tempus, quidam fidalgus de his qui habent lanzam in astillerum, adargam antiquam, rocinum flacum et perrum galgum, qui currebat sicut ánima quae llevatur a diábolo”. Ignatius Calvus, Historia domini Quijoti Manchegui, I, cap. I.

Points on the translation: (I have more than these, but just a few)

1. The original says "lugar" (place, not "village"). From the original I gather the "place" could be or not a "village", it could be a place near a village, in the countryside... Would it be 'bad' English to just say "a place in La Mancha"?

2. I have no desire to call to mind, the Spanish literally says "I don't want to remember". (Is this done to make more 'literary' in English?) (The "Latin" version say something facetious in the order "I don't want to heat up my scalp" about it...)

3. Gentleman = Hidalgo. "Hidalgo" comes from "hijo de algo" ("son of something") a nobleman. Is there any other English word closer to it?

4. I learned the word "buckler" in English. Is this as archaic as "adarga"?

5. "Rocín" in my book is more like an "old horse, nag", more than "a hack". Any views on that?

6. "Galgo corredor" translated as "greyhound for coursing" i.e. "hunting". This is maybe more a question on the Spanish, is this "corredor" actually conveying the idea that it was used for "hunting"? (I guess so, given that I don't think they had "greyhound" races those days... or am I dis-informed on the subject...)

7. Well, so much for ONE sentence. (I don't know if we want to split this in 7 different threads, and/or if the language is so archaic that may or may not be totally useful for other forum members or visitors... So what do you think about this?

(Just remembered a book by Richard Bach, Bridge to Infinity, I believe it was... maybe the connection here is that he wrote from a very spiritual viewpoint, thus... connecting with some mad individual like Don Quixote... striving for an ideal that is beyond the beyonds...) (Well, at least I think it is worth trying...)
Old September 02, 2010, 12:30 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
3. "Gentleman" is actually a pretty good word for it if taken in the sense in which it was used a century ago. Failing that you can either get elaborate ("a minor aristocrat") or more precise than the Spanish term (e.g. "a baronet").

4. I'm not sure how many people nowadays could distinguish between different kinds of shield; whether it's archaic or not it's certainly technical.
Old September 02, 2010, 01:10 AM
Diamond

Thank you, Pjt33. "Gentleman" sounded good to me, just wanted to check if there was something more "archaic". (Nobody uses "hidalgo" in Spanish nowadays, but "gentleman" and/or "gentlemen" is current English like anything else.)

Yup, on the "adarga" as in a "leather shield" or just a "medieval shield", I don't think many Spanish speakers know the term.

A buckler (French bouclier 'shield', from Old French bocle, boucle 'boss') is a small shield, 15 to 45 cm (6 in to 18 in) in diameter, gripped in the fist; it was generally used as a companion weapon in hand-to-hand combat during the Middle Ages, as its size made it poor missile weapons (e.g., arrows) but useful in deflecting the blow of an opponent's sword or mace. (from Wiki)

I believe by the time of Don Quixote was written the "adarga" was already something archaic or from the immediate past at least. But it is a good way to describe our gentleman... (Like a tennis player nowadays, who still uses wooden racket... or something of the sort.)

Well, thank you for your input... (and good morning for you, good night for me...)
Old September 02, 2010, 02:25 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Algunos datos: los hidalgos, también denominados fijosdalgos, gentilhombres (¿gentlemen? ), infanzones o caballeros, pertenecían a la clase baja de la nobleza o la nobleza sin título; su acceso era por concesión real (aunque hubo quién compró el título) y este era hereditario. En la Corona de Castilla, a finales del XVI, había una media del 11,01% de hidalgos; en Asturias, una media del 75%, mientras que en Córdoba no llegaba al 1,5%.

Datos extraídos de El Quijote frente a la realidad, de José Aranda.

Hay que ver la diferencia en el porcentaje de hidalgos de una regió a otra. En fin, que esto siempre ha sido un reino de taifas.

Saludos.
Old September 02, 2010, 12:39 PM
Diamond

Gracias Irma, tiene sentido que cuanto más al norte, más alto el porcentaje. En cuanto a los "reinos de taifas", si no has leído la "Patente de Corso" en el blog de Arturo Pérez Reverte de hace dos o tres semanas, (Aportando soluciones), te lo recomiendo. (Arturo recomienda en otra de sus patentes, "A un joven escritor" parte I o parte II, no me acuerdo ahora, leer el Quijote con detenimiento, frase a frase, consultando el diccionario y todo lo demás... así que, siendo él quien me inspira en este "thread", lo considero totalmente "on topic", por cierto.

Una vez más, gracias.

¿Otras ideas con respecto al las demás preguntas?
Old September 04, 2010, 06:05 AM
Diamond

Tengo a este señor en la lista negra, me niego a leer nada suyo.

De momento, sin ideas.
Old September 05, 2010, 07:36 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Irma: Es una lástima. Realmente te pierdes de algo.
Personalmente, sus artículos en el periódico no me atraen mucho (aunque trata algunos temas maravillosamente), pero sus novelas son de lo mejor en español contemporáneo.
(Je-je, a lo único que yo me rehúso es a leer El Quijote. Tal vez cuando tenga más años veré que debí haberlo leído antes, pero actualmente, sigo sin pasar de unas cuantas hojas.)

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; September 05, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old September 05, 2010, 08:30 PM
Diamond

Bueno, es curioso... yo con Arturo P. Reverte me parto de risa con sus artículos... podré estar o no estar de acuerdo con sus opiniones, pero la forma en que escribe, desde mi humilde punto de vista, es para troncharse de risa.

Lo primero que leí (más bien 'escuché') fue "Un asunto de honor", una novelita que refleja un montón del lenguaje coloquial español, y que 'leída' (o mejor dicho, interpretada) por José Sacristán, haciendo de "Manolo Jarales Campo", camionero... es para "desco*onarse" de risa... si se me permite un vulgarismo tan soez. (Desde luego, que usa lenguaje soez, pero con mucho humor...) (falsa vergüenza... )

En fin, a cada cual sus gustos... y "todo el mundo en su casa y Dios en la de todos", como dice el refrán.
En cualquier caso, ¿qué opinan los ingleses nativos de la traducción original, al principio del 'thread'?

Any new views?
Old September 06, 2010, 01:01 AM
Diamond

No digo que no sea un fantástico escritor y erudito, además. Pero he leído algún artículo suyo que toma ciertos tintes completamente contrarios a ideas que defiendo a capa y espada, por lo que ya he comentado que lo tengo en la lista negra, junto con su amigo Marías. Vamos, que para mí están enterrados bajo la sombra de un ciprés al mediodía.
Old September 06, 2010, 05:12 AM
Diamond

Bueno, pues entre tanto, Cervantes sigue vivo, en el espíritu de Don Quixote... y Sancho Panza, quien fue el escudero que inició el "panzing"... un deporte precursor del "panching"...

(Hoy, o esta noche, estoy de nocturno, como Don Quixote, que se le pasaban las noches leyendo de claro en claro, y los días de turbio en turbio; y así, del poco dormir y del mucho leer se le secó el brain...) (Pero yo mañana duermo, ojo.)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: