Hacer Pregunta

Crear un tema
Retroceder   Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español > La enseñanza y el aprendizaje > Cultura
Registrarse Ayuda Comunidad Calendario Temas de Hoy Buscar PenpalsTraductor

American (USA)

Preguntas sobre la cultura y las diferencias entre las culturas de los distintos países e idiomas.

Respuesta

Herramientas Desplegado
Antiguo April 16, 2009, 06:20 AM
poli poli no está en línea
rule 1: gravity

Primera Lengua: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Sure, gringo works, but...
Americano is simple and gets the point across.
Estadounidense is more a more educated, worldly, specific, but it's an awkward word.
An analogy would be:
Black is to americano
what African-American is to estadounidense.
Really both are OK. The second one is more specific, educated but cumbersome. Personally I prefer the second.
Antiguo April 24, 2009, 11:49 AM
ZeroTX ZeroTX no está en línea
Ruby

Primera Lengua: English, United States
ZeroTX is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Escrito originalmente por poli Ver Mensaje
Sure, gringo works, but...
Americano is simple and gets the point across.
Estadounidense is more a more educated, worldly, specific, but it's an awkward word.
An analogy would be:
Black is to americano
what African-American is to estadounidense.
Really both are OK. The second one is more specific, educated but cumbersome. Personally I prefer the second.
If that's the case, it backs up my theory that I'm American (Americano). I think the term "African-American" is retarded political-correctness rhetoric with no basis in reality. If blacks are "African-Americans" then what is everyone else? Are we going to tag the continent of origin in front of every person's ethnicity? That's ridiculous.

I'm a white American with Hispanic family roots, which go back to Spain. That doesn't make me a Spanish-American. I'm just an American...

-ZeroTX
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo April 16, 2009, 07:18 AM
chileno chileno no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Escrito originalmente por CrOtALiTo Ver Mensaje
I believe that the word American is most said in my country, but anyway there is a word most said for the people, and the word is Gringo.

For example.

Who was the gringo that entered yesterday to the victor's party.

I hope this don't offend anyone.
In Chile, almost all blondes are called gringos/as

As well as, Anybody from Europe including Russians, excepting Spaniards and Italians, and maybe French

Responder Con Cita
Antiguo April 17, 2009, 09:10 PM
Elaina Elaina no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: English
Elaina will become famous soon enough
They used to say that the word "gringo" was born when Mexico was being invaded by American soldiers. The soldiers wore green uniforms so the Mexicans would say......

green go (They wanted the Americans to leave Mexico) and this is how the word "gringo" was born.

Don't kill the messenger!
Antiguo June 11, 2009, 01:00 PM
brute brute no está en línea
Emerald

Primera Lengua: British English
brute is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Escrito originalmente por CrOtALiTo Ver Mensaje
I believe that the word American is most said in my country, but anyway there is a word most said for the people, and the word is Gringo.

For example.

Who was the gringo that entered yesterday to the victor's party.

I hope this don't offend anyone.
I always used to think that gringos were N Americanos who sat around their campfires singing "Green g(r)ow the rushes o", but it seems I was wrong. The latest thinking is that it is a corruption of griego, Greek, an incomprehensible language as in "Its all Greek to me." So you must not call the USA people Gringos as this could place them in the Mediterranean. Although we love them dearly, we do not really want them in Southern Europe as well.

A Limey
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo June 11, 2009, 04:44 PM
CrOtALiTo CrOtALiTo no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Escrito originalmente por brute Ver Mensaje
I always used to think that gringos were N Americanos who sat around their campfires singing "Green g(r)ow the rushes o", but it seems I was wrong. The latest thinking is that it is a corruption of griego, Greek, an incomprehensible language as in "Its all Greek to me." So you must not call the USA people Gringos as this could place them in the Mediterranean. Although we love them dearly, we do not really want them in Southern Europe as well.

A Limey
Yes. I can understand you motive of thus feeling in that commentary, but really I know that the word Gringo exist above all because the U.S.A people since arrived to Mexico it were spook of thus way that the idiom were adopted time before.

Última edición por CrOtALiTo fecha: June 13, 2009 a las 10:51 AM
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo March 31, 2009, 03:12 PM
AngelicaDeAlquezar AngelicaDeAlquezar no está en línea
Obsidiana

Primera Lengua: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Hernán: ¡eres un provocador profesional!

I can't have an opinion on personal choices. Having the citizenship of the country where you're living is to me a natural alternative.

Talking about the "gentilicio" itself, Rusty has stated a very objective linguistic point of view, which I subscribe to on principle. Personally, I have always preferred "estadounidense" and "US American", but I'm not prejudiced against someone else using "americano" and "American".
Antiguo March 31, 2009, 05:39 PM
laepelba laepelba no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Escrito originalmente por AngelicaDeAlquezar Ver Mensaje
@Hernán: ¡eres un provocador profesional!

I can't have an opinion on personal choices. Having the citizenship of the country where you're living is to me a natural alternative.

Talking about the "gentilicio" itself, Rusty has stated a very objective linguistic point of view, which I subscribe to on principle. Personally, I have always preferred "estadounidense" and "US American", but I'm not prejudiced against someone else using "americano" and "American".
First of all - I totally agree with your first statement!!

Second - isn't it interesting that he refuses to comment until YOU have commented. Must be nice to be Angelica these days....
Antiguo April 01, 2009, 08:06 AM
laepelba laepelba no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
So, let me stir up the pot a bit. Especially since I'm going to be traveling in Spanish speaking countries this summer... When people native to a Latin American country are speaking amongst themselves, and they say "americano/a" ... they're typically referring to someone from the Western Hemisphere, right? North or South America? But if they specifically use the term estadosunidense, they are referring to someone from the USA, with the implication that the person is Anglo or gringo?

I am well aware that my "gringo-ness" will be apparent when I'm in Lima and Uruguay this summer. But I really want to avoid the ignorant/arrogant errors that so many gringo's make when interacting with cultures abroad....
Antiguo April 01, 2009, 09:29 AM
chileno chileno no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Escrito originalmente por laepelba Ver Mensaje
So, let me stir up the pot a bit. Especially since I'm going to be traveling in Spanish speaking countries this summer... When people native to a Latin American country are speaking amongst themselves, and they say "americano/a" ... they're typically referring to someone from the Western Hemisphere, right? North or South America? But if they specifically use the term estadosunidense, they are referring to someone from the USA, with the implication that the person is Anglo or gringo?

I am well aware that my "gringo-ness" will be apparent when I'm in Lima and Uruguay this summer. But I really want to avoid the ignorant/arrogant errors that so many gringo's make when interacting with cultures abroad....
Estadounidense will do nicely. (Without the "s")

Usually nobody speaks of americanos, unless the conversation drifts to talk about the Americas. So, yes. You are correct. And do not worry, I am sure that if you inflict some unintentional damage, people will steer you in the right direction with an appropriate recommendation.

Do not be afraid to stick you foot in the mouth... it is only human. And we Latins love humans.

Someone, Poli or Tacuba, mentioned that Mexicans have the tendency to place nicknames to people... flaco , gringo etc...

Let me assure you that is not only Mexican...

I think all of Latin America. I am not sure about Spain, though... Sosia or Bolboreta will be able to clear this.

Última edición por chileno fecha: April 01, 2009 a las 09:32 AM
Responder Con Cita
Respuesta

Etiquetas
efe, etymology, gingo

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 

Normas de Publicación