Hacer Pregunta

Crear un tema
Retroceder   Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español > Los idiomas inglés y español > La gramática
Registrarse Ayuda Comunidad Calendario Temas de Hoy Buscar PenpalsTraductor

Compound Tenses

Éste es el lugar para preguntas sobre conjugaciones, tiempos verbales, adverbios, adjetivos, el orden de palabras, sintaxis y otras cuestiones gramaticales en español e inglés.

Respuesta

Herramientas Desplegado
Antiguo August 02, 2010, 06:05 AM
laepelba laepelba no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Talking Compound Tenses

Okay, I know this question is probably a bit too nit-picky, but it's how my brain works. Thank you for bearing with me!

My workbook has a chapter on "The Progressive Tenses". The next chapter is called "Compound Tenses: The Present Perfect and the Past Perfect". In the introduction to the chapter on the "Compound Tenses", it explains that these formas compuestas "consist of more than one verb element ... These tenses are conjugated with a basic form of a verb called a past participle..."

But wait! Aren't the progressive tenses formed with "more than one verb element"? Shouldn't the progressive tenses be included under the sub-heading of "compound tenses"/"formas compuestas"?

Thanks!
Antiguo August 02, 2010, 06:34 AM
Perikles Perikles no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Escrito originalmente por laepelba Ver Mensaje
But wait! Aren't the progressive tenses formed with "more than one verb element"? Shouldn't the progressive tenses be included under the sub-heading of "compound tenses"/"formas compuestas"?

Thanks!
Yes, but you must remember that the book was almost certainly not written by a tidy-minded mathematician with logic as a top priority. I guess they would start off with a structure like a) simple tenses b) compound tenses. Then they write the info for both these. Then they flesh out the simple tenses chapter with another chapter about progressive tenses, thereby confusing the issue.

Perhaps there is a subtle linguistic distinction after all, but it does sound to me like a quibble over taxonomy.
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo August 02, 2010, 06:42 AM
Diamond

Okay - that's what I was hoping. Just semantics. But one would think that grammar categories ought to be treated in a very objective manner with a mathematical-like approach......
Antiguo August 02, 2010, 08:27 AM
chileno chileno no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Okay - that's what I was hoping. Just semantics. But one would think that grammar categories ought to be treated in a very objective manner with a mathematical-like approach......
Unfortunately or maybe fortunately not everybody has a mathematical type of thinking, and that has to be taken in account when a book is written. It is intended for everyone to read it.
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo August 02, 2010, 01:00 PM
Lorenzo Lorenzo no está en línea
Opal

Primera Lengua: English
Lorenzo is on a distinguished road
I get confused with the order of my textbook too. It needs to be written better.

Me confundo con el orden de mi libro de texto también. Lo necesita escrito mejor.
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo August 02, 2010, 01:43 PM
Diamond

Cita:
Escrito originalmente por chileno Ver Mensaje
Unfortunately or maybe fortunately not everybody has a mathematical type of thinking, and that has to be taken in account when a book is written. It is intended for everyone to read it.
Yeah. The problem is that those of us with the analytical minds see things as "correct" or "incorrect".......... I feel that the explanation in this introductory paragraph of the textbook is "incorrect" and thus misleading.

Cita:
Escrito originalmente por Lorenzo Ver Mensaje
I get confused with the order of my textbook too. It needs to be written better.

Me confundo con el orden de mi libro de texto también. Lo necesita escrito mejor.
Welcome, Lorenzo from Yonkers. I have been out of town since you've joined Tomisimo. Let me tell you that you can ask any questions you want here and there are lots of people who are SO MUCH more personable than your textbook to give you answers. Enjoy!!!
Antiguo August 02, 2010, 02:33 PM
Diamond

Cita:
Yeah. The problem is that those of us with the analytical minds see things as "correct" or "incorrect".......... I feel that the explanation in this introductory paragraph of the textbook is "incorrect" and thus misleading.
I am pretty sure they is a simple explanation for the way the material is presented in the book.

But for you, it shouldn't be that simple.
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo August 02, 2010, 07:41 PM
Lorenzo Lorenzo no está en línea
Opal

Primera Lengua: English
Lorenzo is on a distinguished road
Yes, I see. I want to use/enjoy this site and my Spanish books.

Si, veo. Quiero usar/disfrutar esto sito y mi libros de Español.

Cita:

Welcome, Lorenzo from Yonkers. I have been out of town since you've joined Tomisimo. Let me tell you that you can ask any questions you want here and there are lots of people who are SO MUCH more personable than your textbook to give you answers. Enjoy!!!
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo August 02, 2010, 09:46 PM
Rusty Rusty no está en línea
Señor Speedy

Primera Lengua: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Cita:
Me confunde con el órden de mi libro de texto también. Lo necesita escrito Se necesita escribirlo mejor.
confundirse = to be mistaken/wrong (synonym of equivocarse)
confundirse con = mingle/blend/get confused with

"It needs to be written" is an example of the English passive voice. The passive voice in Spanish is not used nearly as often. Instead, use the 'passive se' construct that appears above.

"Lo" can't be used as a subject pronoun. In the construct I used, the direct object pronoun lo is suffixed to the infinitive. Though awkward in colloquial English, the translation of the construct I used is:
One needs to write it

Cita:
Sí, ya veo. Quiero usar/disfrutar de este sitio y mis libros de español.
"Ya (lo) veo" = I see (in the sense of understanding something)

Ask if you have other questions about the corrections.

Última edición por Rusty fecha: August 02, 2010 a las 09:50 PM
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo August 03, 2010, 12:13 PM
Diamond

Cita:
Yes, I see. I want to use/enjoy this site and my Spanish books.

Si, ya/lo veo. Quiero usar/disfrutar este sitio y mi libros de Español.
Responder Con Cita
Respuesta

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 

Normas de Publicación