Hacer Pregunta

Crear un tema
Retroceder   Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español > Los idiomas inglés y español > Traducciones
Registrarse Ayuda Comunidad Calendario Temas de Hoy Buscar PenpalsTraductor

Using "lo", the neuter article

Si necesitas ayuda para traducir una frase o un texto, usa este foro. Para traducciones o definiciones de una sola palabra o un modismo, usa el foro para vocabulario.

Respuesta

Herramientas Desplegado
Antiguo December 23, 2010, 04:45 AM
laepelba laepelba no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Question Using "lo", the neuter article

There are some sample sentences in my workbook with the neuter article. There is one that I don't quite understand...

Spanish: Lo bueno es lo rápido que aprendo español.

My translation: The good thing is to learn Spanish quickly. (But I really don't think that this is the sense........)

I just don't get it. Help! Thanks!!

Quita esta publicidad al registrarte con una cuenta gratuita en Tomísimo.
Antiguo December 23, 2010, 05:28 AM
Perikles Perikles no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Escrito originalmente por laepelba Ver Mensaje
Spanish: Lo bueno es lo rápido que aprendo español.

My translation: The good thing is to learn Spanish quickly. (But I really don't think that this is the sense........)
Neither do I. I think it is more like the good thing is how quickly I am learning Spanish.

Here is a dump of my dictionary entry for lo. Note lo difícil and others:

lo1artículo
A : prefiero lo dulce I prefer sweet things; lo difícil es más interesante difficult things are more interesting; dejemos lo difícil para mañana let's leave the difficult part until tomorrow; lo interesante del caso es que … the interesting thing about the case is that …; ¿estoy en lo correcto? am I right?; desde lo alto de la sierra from high up in the mountains; trata de ser lo más objetivo posible try to be as objective as possible; lo expresado por mi colega what my colleague said; que cada cual se ocupe de lo suyo everyone should take care of their own things; se ha enterado de lo nuestro she's found out about us; lo de la enfermedad de su madre es puro cuento this business o story about his mother being ill is complete fiction; lo de Rafael fue realmente trágico what happened to Rafael was really tragic; lo de María es muy triste it's very sad about María; voy a lo de Cristina (Río de la Plata) I'm going to Cristina's, I'm going to Cristina's house o (familiar) place
B (con oraciones de relativo): no entiendo lo que dices I don't understand what you're saying; haz lo que creas oportuno do as you see fit, do what you think fit; lo que más me gustó fue la música what I liked most was the music; lo que es por mí, que se muera (familiar) for all I care o as far as I'm concerned, he can drop dead (familiar); (familiar) en lo que se refiere a la televisión … as far as television is concerned …; lo cual or lo que fue desmentido por el Gobierno which was denied by the Government
C (con valor ponderativo): ¡lo que debe haber sufrido! how she must have suffered!; ¿no te das cuenta de lo ridículo que es? don't you realize how ridiculous it is?; ¡no te imaginas lo que fue aquello! you can't imagine what it was like!; ¿has visto lo mal que habla? you see how badly he speaks?; ¡lo que es tener la conciencia tranquila! it's wonderful o what it is to have a clear conscience!; pobre abuelo, con lo enfermo que está … poor grandpa, he's so ill …; nosotros estábamos aquí lo más tranquilos (familiar) we were just sitting here as quiet as you like (familiar)
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo December 23, 2010, 05:29 AM
Diamond

Thanks, Perikles. But I'm having difficulty with is attaching the idea of speed to the conjugated "I learn..." part....

That "dump" is helpful......
Antiguo December 23, 2010, 05:49 AM
Perikles Perikles no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Thanks, Perikles. But I'm having difficulty with is attaching the idea of speed to the conjugated "I learn..." part....
Try seeing the lo rápido as shorthand for the fast manner with which
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo December 23, 2010, 05:51 AM
Diamond

Hmmm... okay, that makes sense..... I think the other thing that has me stumped on this is trying to equate "the good thing" with "learning something rapidly". I guess I see learning as a process that should probably not have a lot of shortcuts. I'm pre-disposed to have issues with this one............
Antiguo December 23, 2010, 07:29 AM
chileno chileno no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Hmmm... okay, that makes sense..... I think the other thing that has me stumped on this is trying to equate "the good thing" with "learning something rapidly". I guess I see learning as a process that should probably not have a lot of shortcuts. I'm pre-disposed to have issues with this one............
You're not far.

Learning (it/something/that) rapidly.
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo December 23, 2010, 08:09 AM
AngelicaDeAlquezar AngelicaDeAlquezar no está en línea
Obsidiana

Primera Lengua: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Not an easy translation.
This "lo rápido" is working as "how fast": The good thing how fast I'm learning Spanish... it's so good I learn quickly.
And yes, you learn rather quickly.
Antiguo December 23, 2010, 09:10 AM
wafflestomp wafflestomp no está en línea
Pearl

Primera Lengua: American English
wafflestomp is on a distinguished road
Would a more literal one be like "The good thing is the fast speed that I learn spanish"
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo December 23, 2010, 09:17 AM
Rusty Rusty no está en línea
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
A very literal rendering is "The good is the fast that I'm learning Spanish," but a literal translation isn't good English. So, we have to say 'good thing' and we have to convert 'the fast' to 'how fast (that)' or 'the speed at which'. ("Aprendo" can mean "I'm learning," "I do learn," and "I learn.")

~~~
The good thing is how fast I'm learning Spanish.
The good thing is the speed at which I'm learning Spanish.
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo December 23, 2010, 09:23 AM
wafflestomp wafflestomp no está en línea
Pearl

wafflestomp is on a distinguished road
Yeah I was thinking of using at which too in there. Makes sense to me. Thanks for the explanation rusty.
Responder Con Cita
Respuesta

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 

Normas de Publicación