Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Translation please

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old May 01, 2011, 12:28 AM
Opal

eclipse1185 is on a distinguished road
Translation please

So I went to the movies, and I told this person " some girl sat next to me and looked exactly like you" and she replied "lol te hubiera encantado que fuera yo verdad?"

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 01, 2011, 01:03 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
You would have loved it to be me, right?
Old May 01, 2011, 02:55 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Norwegian
Vikingo is on a distinguished road
She replied "lol"?

My fishy alarm is screaming in my ear. You also most likely wouldn't know how to spell it correctly if you didn't already understand what it meant.

pjt33, I'd like to sell you one of those alarms. I also have a bridge and a statue for sale :P
Old May 01, 2011, 03:03 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingo View Post
My fishy alarm is screaming in my ear. You also most likely wouldn't know how to spell it correctly if you didn't already understand what it meant.
That's what I thought. You could not possibly know how to write that if you had no idea what it meant.

I wonder what is coming next.
Old May 01, 2011, 03:46 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
It's just modern age is so ... modern, and we live in so much contemporary times.

[I'd like to ask you about this: It happened that] I went to the movies [and later when I was in a chat session with some person] I told this person ... <cut and pasted comeback>

Replace this with "so" and this with "and" --any modern self-respecting human being has "auto-complete"-- and that's it. You'll have an opportunity to get your own back with the answer: "would've love that me, hey?" or any other thing in whatsoever tempo.
Old May 01, 2011, 04:43 AM
Ruby

Since you're learning English and all.. and GAWD do I hate it when people don't even try to correct me in neither English nor Spanish, and there was something else, but I can't remember. My English isn't perfect, but I think I see the following (all in a friendly atmosphere):

From your last paragraph:

I would have said "You would have loved that to be me, eh?", "wouldn't you have loved that to be me?", or something similar. The "would've love that me" doesn't really make sense (it's understandable, yes, barely) but you need to include the subject pronoun, and something like "to be me" or "you would have loved if what were me", or something similar. "that me" doesn't pan out. English-speaking natives, come out, come out.

"Hey" means "¡hola!", "¡epa!" (not actually sure about the "epa", I just said it to show vulnerability), or something, but "eh" or "right?" is what you'd want to say there.

Lastly, in "whatsoever tempo" I would guess that you mean "in whatever tense". Hey? Sorry, I mean, "right?"

Please don't misunderstand me here, but there is NO FORGIBBNESS! Hehe. How would you say it, English speakers (me hago el sueco.)?

PS: we live in so (VERY) contemporary times.

Last edited by Vikingo; May 01, 2011 at 04:59 AM. Reason: PS.
Old May 01, 2011, 05:41 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingo View Post
She replied "lol"?

What Alec said.

I have some Spanish-speakers as Facebook friends, and going by what they post "lol" has been adopted into Spanish text-speak.

(Also, Alec's English is pretty good. I read what he said as meaning that if you want to be unhelpful then you can just post a bad translation).
Old May 01, 2011, 05:49 AM
Ruby

Pjt, don't get me wrong

Your translation was perfect. What I said was more with regards to the original poster, but even there with a glint in the eye.

To you, it was just meant to be friendly banter . Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I appreciate your knowledge very much, and I know you are very competent and a great guy too

And if it's not clear, aleC is one of the people that I have learned a lot from, he's one of my heroes when it comes to the complicated understandings of Spanish grammar. I'm a bit in awe when it comes to correcting his English, but I know from my own experience that for people who want to learn (I count myself among them), it's always good to get feedback.

But again, sorry for the misunderstanding, I'll try to be clearer. Hug?

Last edited by Vikingo; May 01, 2011 at 05:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old May 01, 2011, 05:51 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
@Vikingo

Thanks, my dear fellow, but I intended to mean "embiggens and cromulent" mixing some SMS + deconstructivist style with that grudging attitude of just broaching out essentials and expecting a throughly responsive environment, all of it so common nowadays (the answer; "whatsoever tempo"). It was all intended more for reading inside the "o" than its perimeter, so to speak.

But you are right and I'm very interested in the way to say "¿acaso no vivimos en una época demasiado contemporánea?"

hacerse el sueco =? to play dumb

Buy the way, would't "hacerse el sueco" take us back before 1905?
Old May 01, 2011, 06:03 AM
Ruby

I don't know too much about the origin and usage of "hacerse el sueco", but I like it nonetheless

It's a Nordic thing.

"Don't we already live in a too contemporary time?" Something like that, maybe. Pjt, since you're already online? "Much contemporary times" would sound like "mucho tiempo contemporáneo", or something to that effect

Rusty, you're up! Comments on the most natural way to express aleC's sentences?

And 1905, doh!! </homer>

Last edited by Vikingo; May 01, 2011 at 06:23 AM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: