Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Soy vs Estoy vs Tengo - is this correct?

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.

Old January 27, 2013, 11:55 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
Tara is on a distinguished road
Soy vs Estoy vs Tengo - is this correct?

I'm fairly new to Spanish and have been working on understanding the correct ages of Soy, Estoy and Tengo.

As far as I understand:

Tengo is an irregular usage, generally meaning "I have" but used where I might assume "I am" would be used, such as "tengo frio" (I am cold). These don't really have any rules but just have to be memorized. Is this correct? Does anyone have or know of a list of times when "tengo" is used?

Soy is used to described what something is, more of a "permanent" state of something (or at least not as impermanent as something like emotions). Its more along the lines of "this is who I am". Such as "Soy de Las Vegas." But why is it sometimes "soy" and sometimes "yo soy"?

Estoy is used to described how or where something is, the condition in that moment or the experience of that moment. It's the more impermanent qualities of something, along the lines of "this is where I am/what I'm experiencing right now". Is "yo estoy" ever used (and if so when and why)?

Please correct anything or clarify anything you see or think I may be misunderstanding. I appreciate it!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:50 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
ú
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
I'm fairly new to Spanish and have been working on understanding the correct ages of Soy, Estoy and Tengo.

As far as I understand:

Tener/Tengo is an irregular usage, generally meaning "I have" but used where I might assume "I am" would be used, such as "tengo frio" (I am cold). These don't really have any rules but just have to be memorized. Is this correct? Does anyone have or know of a list of times when "tengo" is used?

Ser/Soy is used to described what something is, more of a "permanent" state of something (or at least not as impermanent as something like emotions). Its more along the lines of "this is who I am". Such as "Soy de Las Vegas." But why is it sometimes "soy" and sometimes "yo soy"?

Estar/Estoy is used to described how or where something is, the condition in that moment or the experience of that moment. It's the more impermanent qualities of something, along the lines of "this is where I am/what I'm experiencing right now". Is "yo estoy" ever used (and if so when and why)?

Please correct anything or clarify anything you see or think I may be misunderstanding. I appreciate it!
Good question Tara. First you need to learn how to conjugate these three verbs. So to start it would be Ser vs Estar vs Tener. These are the infinitives for these verbs.

¿Cómo estás Tara? Estoy bien. Being well is temporary. You would not say Soy bien.
"Soy un hombre sincero de donde crece la palma." Jose Martí Cuban poet
"I am a sincere man from where the palm trees grow."(Cuba)
Being a man is permanent.

Estoy cansado. I'm tired. Being tired is a temporary state.

Tengo frio, calor etc. etc. I have cold, hot. I am cold, hot. This is the way it is said in Spanish and all the Latin languages.
Italian for example: Ho freddo. Ho caldo. I have cold, hot.

yo=I, tú=you, usted=you(formal), nosotros=we, ellos, ellas=they, ustedes=you plural

Ser - to be - permanent state
Yo soy, tu eres usted, el ella es, nosotros somos, ustedes, ellos ellas son

Estar - to be - temporary state
Yo estoy, tu estas, usted, el ella esta, nosotros estamos, ustedes, ellos ellas son

Tener=To have
Yo tengo, tu tienes, usted, el, ella tiene, nosotros tenemos, ustedes, ellos, ellas tienen

Ser, estar o tener

For each blank, give the correct form of ser, estar or tener for each question. Put only one answer in each blank. Use lower case only.

David ________ alto y guapo.
¿Y ________ Uds. estudiantes?
El hombre ________ aquí.
Ella no ________ de aquí.
Yo no ________ médico.
El ________ los ojos azules y el pelo largo.
Las muchachas no ________ buenas estudiantes.
Nosotros ________ cansadas porque no dormimos mucho.
¿Cómo ________ tú? Bien, gracias.
Las chicas ________ de Mazatlán.
Ellas no ________ el pelo rizado.
¿Qué hora ________?
Tengo un examen mañana. Por eso ________ muy nervioso.
Ellas ________ morenas.
Mi abuelo ________ muerto. (This is a tricky one.)

Last edited by Villa; January 27, 2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:40 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:

As far as I understand:
Good understanding... to begin with.

Quote:
Tengo is an irregular usage, generally meaning "I have" but used where I might assume "I am" would be used, such as "tengo frio" (I am cold). These don't really have any rules but just have to be memorized. Is this correct? Does anyone have or know of a list of times when "tengo" is used?
Rather than have a list and try to memorize it, why don't you list all the possibles "I am" that could mean "tengo", as you understand it?

Quote:
Soy is used to described what something is, more of a "permanent" state of something (or at least not as impermanent as something like emotions). Its more along the lines of "this is who I am". Such as "Soy de Las Vegas." But why is it sometimes "soy" and sometimes "yo soy"?
Yes. I would say more of the essence of "being"... The "yo" mst of the time is used for emphasis. Either way it is correct. Some people will try to tell you that it isn't necessary to use it all the time and others will insist on it, adducing you sound more like a "native".

Quote:
Estoy is used to described how or where something is, the condition in that moment or the experience of that moment. It's the more impermanent qualities of something, along the lines of "this is where I am/what I'm experiencing right now". Is "yo estoy" ever used (and if so when and why)?
Perferct!

And what I said about the "yo" applied here, as well.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:40 AM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Good understanding... to begin with.

Rather than have a list and try to memorize it, why don't you list all the possibles "I am" that could mean "tengo", as you understand it?
That's just it. I DON'T understand it. (No entiendo! Or whould that be Estoy no entiendo, or tengo no entiendo? And there's another question. I'm learning it as just "no entiendo" - why do some phrases not include it at all? Is there a "rule" I can learn there too, or is it like "tengo" and I gotta just figure it out?)

Quote:
Yes. I would say more of the essence of "being"... The "yo" mst of the time is used for emphasis. Either way it is correct. Some people will try to tell you that it isn't necessary to use it all the time and others will insist on it, adducing you sound more like a "native".
Ah this helps so much! Gracias!
Old January 28, 2013, 10:32 AM
Pearl

caliber1 is on a distinguished road
I think part of the problem is that you're learning some things in their conjugated form. "No entiendo" is already conjugated into the first person. Basically you're conjugating the verb "entender". You're just gonna have to learn the uses of "tener" as they translate to the English "I am". For instance "tengo frío/I'm cold", "tengo hambre/I'm hungry", "tengo sed/I'm thirsty", "tengo sueño/I'm tired". Remember, the hardest things to learn is that stuff doesn't always directly translate. That's been one of my biggest obsticles as I continue to learn. Good luck! Hope I didn't confuse you more.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:14 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's just it. I DON'T understand it. (No entiendo! Or whould that be Estoy no entiendo, or tengo no entiendo? And there's another question. I'm learning it as just "no entiendo" - why do some phrases not include it at all? Is there a "rule" I can learn there too, or is it like "tengo" and I gotta just figure it out?)
Now you are mixing things...

To be = ser or estar right?

How come now you are saying something like I am don't understand?

See the mixing?

One thing you should be doing is to check the way to conjugate verbs in Spanish, the page is here, somewhere...

Now, try again and don't mix the terms.... one thing is to be and the other is to have....

One thing at a time.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:38 AM
Emerald

Quote:

Ah this helps so much! Gracias!
Tara, you have to remember the order of learning a second language or even a first language.

1. Understanding
2. Speaking
3. Reading
4. Writing

So in order to understand Spanish you have to listen to Spanish a lot. 99.99% of language is spoken not written. Once you understand Spanish then you'll be able to speak it without having to think so much. Sure you also need to study Spanish but unless you are listening to Spanish then it will take you much more time to learn. Get audio Spanish courses, Spanish music CDs, audio Spanish books, listen to Spanish on the radio. One of the best things you can do is watch TV in Spanish. Even if you don't understand your brain is picking things up subconciously. I watch 4 TV novelas a day. I watch one every hour from 7 to 10 at night 5 days a week. If I go somewhere I record them and watch them later. I also watch or listen to the news in Spanish and watch other TV shows in Spanish. I also have Spanish TV novelas on DVDs and movies in Spanish. Of course you need to find Spanish speakers to talk to. Here in California 50% of the people speak Spanish. I went to eat Chinese food yesterday and the Chinese waiter spoke fluent Spanish. He lived in Argentina for 4 years and then has lived here in California for years and speaks Spanish with somebody every day.

Last edited by Villa; January 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:01 PM
Pearl

caliber1 is on a distinguished road
There's a small town here in oregon called Cornelius which has a large Hispanic population. There's a small teriyaki restaurant that is owned by a Chinese family and the owner speaks nearly fluent Spanish. So she speaks Spanish, mandarin, and English. It's very true what Villa said, if you basically immerse yourself in it, you'll pick things up without realizing it sometimes.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:47 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber1 View Post
There's a small town here in oregon called Cornelius which has a large Hispanic population. There's a small teriyaki restaurant that is owned by a Chinese family and the owner speaks nearly fluent Spanish. So she speaks Spanish, mandarin, and English. It's very true what Villa said, if you basically immerse yourself in it, you'll pick things up without realizing it sometimes.
Gracias caliber1. Chinese food is one of my favorite foods. My neighbors on both sides of my house are Chinese. I go to a lot of Chinese fast food places and just about in every one they have a Chinese person that can speak Spanish. In fact usually when I'm ordering my Chinese food I'll say something in Spanish just to test them out. Funny how I did not do that yesterday but found out later that he spoke Spanish. The guy was very interesting and gave a whole lesson on China, the Chinese language and dialects. Later he told me about going to high school in Argentina and being a top student. He is college educated and says he loves languages. He just helps out his brother once and awhile who owns the Chinese restuarant.

Last edited by Villa; January 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:59 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Now you are mixing things...

To be = ser or estar right?

How come now you are saying something like I am don't understand?

See the mixing?
LOL yes I do now!

It could be Yo no entiendo then, no?

Quote:
One thing you should be doing is to check the way to conjugate verbs in Spanish, the page is here, somewhere...

Now, try again and don't mix the terms.... one thing is to be and the other is to have....

One thing at a time.
Unfortaunetly one thing at a time has never worked for my learning style. My brain is very nonlinear and rapid fires questions at me that, if not answered, it won't budge from. I simply can't wrap my head around something else until I understand the thing stuck in my head in the way my brain understands it. This is why this forum is helping me so much. It's allowing me the dialogue I learn best with. Being able to ask random questions as they come up helps me to connect the dots my brain forms (and is forming with this new language). Muchos gracias to each of you!

The immersion and "order of learning" makes so much sense now that you mention it. We're traveling full-time currently and I'm limited on resources right now for various reasons, but I'll try to find some options until we have better wifi that will allow me to watch some videos. (Can't wait to be able to use a library again! I did go to a Mexican restaurant last night but our server didn't speak Spanish. LOL)

Thank you also for the reminder that things simply won't translate exactly. Such an obvious thing to forget, that the whole world is based off our English grammar rules!

Going to give this a try even though it feels waaaaay over my head at the present moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post

For each blank, give the correct form of ser, estar or tener for each question. Put only one answer in each blank. Use lower case only.

David _____es___ alto y guapo.
¿Y ___???_____ Uds. estudiantes?
El hombre ____es____ aquí.
Ella no ____es____ de aquí.
Yo no ____tengo____ médico.
El _____tienes___ los ojos azules y el pelo largo.
Las muchachas no ___son_____ buenas estudiantes.
Nosotros ____estamos____ cansadas porque no dormimos mucho.
¿Cómo ____esta____ tú? Bien, gracias.
Las chicas ____son____ de Mazatlán.
Ellas no ____tiene____ el pelo rizado.
¿Qué hora ____es____?
Tengo un examen mañana. Por eso ________ muy nervioso.
Ellas ____son____ morenas.
Mi abuelo _____ha___ muerto. (This is a tricky one.) (Google translate told me this one. Ha means has...so my grandfather has death? LOL)
How'd I do, teach'?

Last edited by Rusty; January 28, 2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: