Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

"La" or "El"

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old September 11, 2013, 06:15 PM
Opal

Ember is on a distinguished road
"La" or "El"

How can I determine whether to use "La" or "El"?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 11, 2013, 07:12 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
These are the feminine and masculine definite articles. They are the equivalent of the word 'the' in English.
All Spanish nouns have a gender, but that is an unfortunate term. It's sometimes better to just think in terms of what 'type' a noun is. There are two types of nouns. One type uses 'la' and the other type uses 'el'.
Any dictionary will tell you which gender/type is appropriate for a word that has a specific meaning.

There are also indefinite articles. They are 'una' (feminine) and 'un' (masculine). These correspond to the English 'a' (or 'an' before words that begin with a vowel sound).

There are plural forms for all of these articles, as well.

Definite Articles
 Gender  Singular  Plural 
 Masculine  el  los 
 Feminine  la  las 

Indefinite Articles
 Gender  Singular  Plural 
 Masculine  un  unos 
 Feminine  una  unas 

Notice I didn't capitalize the articles. That is only done if they begin a sentence.

Hope that helps.
Welcome to the forums!
Old September 21, 2013, 12:37 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Se habla español
AMG is on a distinguished road
You have to take into account the gender of a word. You know if a word is masculine because most of them end in o, for example, carro, esfero, gorro, etc., with exceptions such as mueble, lápiz, parlante, gas, etc., which are also masculine. With these words you use "el". Most of the words that end in "r" and are preceded with "o" are masculine; for example: asador, contador, comunicador, etc.
With feminine words you use "la". These words can be identified because they end in "a", for example, casa, Cortina, silla, etc., but there are many exceptions, such as, salud, luz, llave, etc.
Also, there are words that end in "a" but they are masculine, such as agua, planeta, etc.
And there are words ended in "o" and they're feminine, such as moto, mano, etc.
For more information you could visit:
http://babelnet.sbg.ac.at/carlitos/a...ustantivos.htm
http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/p...ados-en-a.aspx
I hope this helps.

Last edited by AMG; September 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old September 21, 2013, 01:17 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Caution, 'agua' is not masculine. When used in the singular form, it's true that it takes the masculine article, but that is only for euphony's sake. Any adjectives used to modify 'agua' always take the feminine ending.
Old September 22, 2013, 05:02 PM
Pearl

Oh, yes. That's true. Thanks.
Old September 25, 2013, 07:48 AM
Opal

Michael Visser is on a distinguished road
El is the singular, masculine definite article (the word for "the"), while la is the feminine version. But there are exceptions that you just have to memorize. But there is one instance where el is used with feminine nouns.
Old September 26, 2013, 09:23 AM
Opal

Native Language: Filipino, English
Destarte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
You have to take into account the gender of a word. You know if a word is masculine because most of them end in o, for example, carro, esfero, gorro, etc., with exceptions such as mueble, lápiz, parlante, gas, etc., which are also masculine. With these words you use "el". Most of the words that end in "r" and are preceded with "o" are masculine; for example: asador, contador, comunicador, etc.
With feminine words you use "la". These words can be identified because they end in "a", for example, casa, Cortina, silla, etc., but there are man, y exceptions, such as, salud, luz, llave, etc.
Also, there are words that end in "a" but they are masculine, such as agua, planeta, etc.
And there are words ended in "o" and they're feminine, such as moto, mano, etc.
For more information you could visit:
http://babelnet.sbg.ac.at/carlitos/a...ustantivos.htm
http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/p...ados-en-a.aspx
I hope this helps.

any word that ends in ción is also consider as feminine right? like habitación, dirección?
Old September 27, 2013, 07:33 PM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destarte View Post
any word that ends in ción is also consider as feminine right? like habitación, dirección?
OMG, you're teaching me Spanish, Anabelle. I haven't realized that!!!! Seriously, I can't believe that you discovered this before I did. That's a great point. You're totally right.

I put more examples: canción, poción, devoción, aclaración, determinación, decisión, conjunción, intención, reparación, noción, etc.
And I just realized that not only the words that end in ción, but also in sión.

More examples: pasión, misión, comisión, colisión, mansión, asociación, asunción, atención, afección, aversión, aviación, amonestación, agresión, acción, agrupación, composición, compulsión, conexión, condición, conducción, corporación, ilusión, visión, misión, (digestión), fracción, fricción, expansión, habitación, inyección, insolación, desolación, inflexión, ok, etc. etc.
There are also palabras agudas that don't end in ción or sión and are feminine, such as agonía, complexión, elegía, dinastía, etc.
You can consult here all the palabras agudas here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/14059896/P...Agudas-listado This page is awesome

I realized one more think: that most of the words with this features are also very similar in English

Thank you, thank you, thank you
Old September 27, 2013, 08:06 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Look out! "Agonía", "elegía", "dinastía"... are not "palabras agudas" (words that are stressed at the last syllable), but "palabras graves" (words that are stressed at the second syllable, counting from the last one).
Old September 27, 2013, 08:40 PM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Look out! "Agonía", "elegía", "dinastía"... are not "palabras agudas" (words that are stressed at the last syllable), but "palabras graves" (words that are stressed at the second syllable, counting from the last one).
Ok, yeeessss, I forgot about that. What's its name? Hiato? I think.

Thanks, Angélica
I'm learning Spanish, yeeaahhh!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: