View Full Version : And... what about the day's word...

irmamar
April 17, 2009, 08:07 AM
... or the word of the day? (I'm not sure). It would be interesting for English learners, I think.

María José
April 17, 2009, 11:37 AM
What do you mean?:confused:

irmamar
April 17, 2009, 11:43 AM
There is "La palabra del día", and I see that everyday there is a Spanish word to discuss. There could be "the word of the day", in English, too. I think this is a good option to learn new words, isn't it?

CrOtALiTo
April 17, 2009, 12:57 PM
I don't see the case about it, there is a forums dedicate for it, and well if you need to learn new words inside of the forums, you can go to the part idioms there are several words in both languages and well I think it's a good idea but, if you wanna do the request about the new forums you can send to Tomisimo of the you want about i.

irmamar
April 17, 2009, 01:07 PM
I wasn't thinking of a new forum, but a new post everyday. Well, it is not important, anyway, just an idea.

Jessica
April 17, 2009, 01:30 PM
new post? what do you mean? :thinking:

irmamar
April 17, 2009, 01:58 PM
Well, a new post or a new thread, I meant. For instance, today "la palabra del día" was "disparo", there could be another post (or thread, although I think that there isn't a thread if there isn't at least an answer) with the word "shot". Or maybe, the title of the new post/thread could be disparo/shot. This is not important, just an idea, since my mind is always thinking. I don't know if I... how could I say in English?... no sé si me expreso.

CrOtALiTo
April 17, 2009, 03:01 PM
Yes, I got it, but it you should to talking with Tomisimo.

Tomisimo
April 18, 2009, 11:03 PM
... or the word of the day? (I'm not sure). It would be interesting for English learners, I think.
Great idea! I'll see what I can do about it. :)

irmamar
April 19, 2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks. Well, it's just an idea, if it isn't possible there's no problem, but I thought it could be interesting.

CrOtALiTo
April 19, 2009, 09:58 PM

Yes, I think that the said our partner before is good idea, if you wanna do it well then you will great Manager.:)

irmamar
April 20, 2009, 12:53 AM
Yes, I think that the said our partner before is good idea, if you wanna do it well then you will great Manager.:)

Crotalito, could you translate it into Spanish, I didn't understand anything!:confused:

CrOtALiTo
April 20, 2009, 08:49 AM
Crotalito, could you translate it into Spanish, I didn't understand anything!:confused:

What didn't you understand?:confused:

My post was very understanding.

Rusty
April 20, 2009, 10:20 AM
De nuevo me meto donde no me llaman. :worried:

Yes, I think that the said our partner before is good idea, if you wanna do it well then you will great Manager.
Should probably be:
Yes, I think what our partner said before is a good idea. If you want to do it, (David,) you'll be a great administrator.
Sí, creo que lo que dijo antes nuestro compañero es una buena idea. Si quieres hacerlo, (David,) serás un gran administrador.

irmamar
April 20, 2009, 10:42 AM

:lol::lol:... (but not for me)...:lol:

Thanks, Rusty. I don't know who is David, I suppose he is Tomísimo.

Rusty
April 20, 2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Rusty. I don't know who David is, I suppose he is Tomísimo.Correct.

lee ying
April 20, 2009, 08:30 PM
Yes, but the words of the day exit right here, right, there is an anothere diferencce with your idea, I think there are many wçday´s words but I can see most thread in spanish!!! ^_ ^ , right?

brother don´t getting mat:mad: please be happy helping with your answer:)
I know, You´re great but , there are asking you an answer into spanish an I think that isn´t a problem for you. be polite:dancingman:

CrOtALiTo
April 20, 2009, 11:25 PM
Yes, but the words of the day exit right here, right, there is an anothere diferencce with your idea, I think there are many wçday´s words but I can see most thread in spanish!!! ^_ ^ , right?

brother don´t getting mat:mad: please be happy helping with your answer:)
I know, You´re great but , there are asking you an answer into spanish an I think that isn´t a problem for you. be polite:dancingman:

I will take your commentary about.:)

You know, so I am, I'm sorry, but sometimes I haven't patient for write the text in two languages, I only write into of the English and almostn't I write into of the Spanish, therefore sometimes I'm very lassy to write the text at Spanish.

irmamar
April 21, 2009, 11:06 AM
Crotalito, don't worry! It's because you make me laugh a lot (but I'm not laughing at you, of course!) when I read your posts. Anyway, I make a lot of mistakes, but we are here to learn. I can say my mind's changed in a few days, since I came in here. First I found difficult to write in English, now I find it easier, though I'm going on making mistakes.

Yes, I think you're right. Anyway, there is a translation of the word inside of the post, so it's the same, I think. Just a thought, that's all!

CrOtALiTo
April 21, 2009, 05:49 PM
Of course, but as you have said, I make you laugh and it does not graceful well whatever, I hope that you during your stay here in the website you can learn much English and if you need help about it and if I can help you, then I will, don't worry sometimes I'm a person very hard to understand.

Sincerely yours.

irmamar
April 22, 2009, 01:13 AM
Of course, but as you have said, I make you laugh and it does not graceful well whatever, I hope that you during your stay here in the website you can learn much English and if you need help about it and if I can help you, then I will, don't worry sometimes I'm a person very hard to understand.

Sincerely yours.

Sorry, Crotalito, don't be angry. I find you nicer than another thing. No sé, esta frase no me suena muy bien en inglés, quería decir que te encuentro más simpátic@ que otra cosa. :)

CrOtALiTo
April 22, 2009, 08:20 AM
Sorry, Crotalito, don't be angry. I find you nicer than another thing. No sé, esta frase no me suena muy bien en inglés, quería decir que te encuentro más simpátic@ que otra cosa. :)

Thank you for your commentaries about.

You can say ( You are nice than others)

Because your phrase does not sence for me.

And don't worry, I'm not angry sometimes.

irmamar
April 22, 2009, 02:05 PM
Thank you for your commentaries about.

You can say ( You are nice than others)

Because your phrase does not sence for me.

And don't worry, I'm not angry sometimes.

¿Sólo "sometimes"?, ¿sólo algunas veces? Miedo me das...:)

CrOtALiTo
April 22, 2009, 06:56 PM
¿Sólo "sometimes"?, ¿sólo algunas veces? Miedo me das...:)

Why do I give you fear.

irmamar
April 23, 2009, 03:04 AM
Porque si hubieras dicho "no siempre estoy enfadado", "I'm not angry always", hubiera sido otra cosa. Si dices "algunas veces no estoy enfadado (sometimes)" es como decir "casi siempre estoy enfadado", ¿no? , o eso creo, al menos :)

I'm not sure if it's said "I'm always angry" or "I'm angry always". The first sentence sounds better to me, but the second one follow the rules, doesn't it?

Rusty
April 23, 2009, 03:37 AM
Porque si hubieras dicho "no siempre estoy enfadado", "I'm not always angry", hubiera sido otra cosa. Si dices "algunas veces no estoy enfadado (sometimes)" es como decir "casi siempre estoy enfadado", ¿no? , o eso creo, al menos :)

I'm not sure if it's said "I'm always angry" :good: or "I'm angry always" :bad:. The first sentence sounds better to me, but the second one follow the rules, doesn't it?In English, we usually insert the adverb between the subject and the verb.

irmamar
April 23, 2009, 04:01 AM
In English, we usually insert the adverb between the subject and the verb.

A veces me hago un lío con esto, no sé dónde va cada elemento de la oración. Lo he estudiado pero se me olvida y tengo que recurrir a lo que me suena mejor.

Thank you, Rusty.

poli
April 23, 2009, 08:30 AM
The thing to be aware of is that language is very flexible. Certainly, as you suspected and Rusty confiimed "I'm always angry" is clearest way
of say it, but technically "I'm angry always" is really ok. As someone learning, it is best to know the most regular way of saying things, but to be aware of the fact that you can manipulate adverb and adjectives.
Example:
John: I don't know why you are always angry.
Mary: I'm not always angry. It's you who's angry always.(Of course you can say:It's you who's always angry.

Other examples: He badly needs medication.
He needs medication badly.
Both are OK.

Any questions. Just ask.

irmamar
April 23, 2009, 01:02 PM
Yes! Another question, because I'm going to get angry now (its a joke":D). The questios is that nobody has told me what was the way of saying "la palabra del día" in English. Now I'm thinking that it could be "The day word". Me hago un lío con esto... :thinking: (I don't know how to say "me hago un lío" in English, sorry! :))

Rusty
April 23, 2009, 03:30 PM
Daily Word = Palabra del Día

CrOtALiTo
April 23, 2009, 03:32 PM
In English, we usually insert the adverb between the subject and the verb.

Im sorry for my mistake about, as you have said I'm not always anger with somebody.

So I am, and so always I will be it, then I'm sorry again if I lacked you the respect. because it's wasn't my inttention.

If you have some question, please you ask me.:mad: jajajaa

poli
April 23, 2009, 05:58 PM
Me hago un lio=I get all confused.:thumbsup:
or It messes me up.

irmamar
April 24, 2009, 12:38 AM
Daily Word = Palabra del Día

Of course! I'm :banghead::banghead::banghead: It's written above! :duh::duh:

irmamar
April 24, 2009, 12:41 AM
Im sorry for my mistake about, as you have said I'm not always anger with somebody.

So I am, and so always I will be it, then I'm sorry again if I lacked you the respect. because it's wasn't my inttention.

If you have some question, please you ask me.:mad: jajajaa

Thanks for your offer ;). I don't get easily angry. But when I get angry...:eek:

Me hago un lio=I get all confused.:thumbsup:
or It messes me up.

Thanks! Sometimes English messes me up a lot! :thinking:

CrOtALiTo
April 24, 2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks for your offer ;). I don't get easily angry. But when I get angry...:eek:

Thanks! Sometimes English messes me up a lot! :thinking:

I can imagine it, then when you are angry well I guess that you are very very hard to attend, because you are women.:)

irmamar
April 24, 2009, 11:13 AM
I can imagine it, then when you are angry well I guess that you are very very hard to attend, because you are women.:)

I'm a womAn, not several women :)

Fazor
April 24, 2009, 11:24 AM
Technically the Spanish "Palabra del día" works both ways; if you're learning English, then it just gives you the definition first, then the English meaning. ;)

Edit: D'oh! I thought I was at the end of the thread when I posted this. I only was at the end of the first page. Didn't notice that there were two more . . . so if this has been said already, I apologize.

irmamar
April 24, 2009, 01:38 PM
Don't worry :)

But... What is d'oh?

CrOtALiTo
April 24, 2009, 01:54 PM
I'm a womAn, not several women :)

I got it.

I know that you are a only one woman.

You are special, I'd like meet you.

irmamar
April 24, 2009, 02:04 PM
I got it.

I know that you are a only one woman.

You are special, I'd like meet you.

We're far away... and I don't like flying :eek::eek:

Fazor
April 24, 2009, 02:28 PM
"D'oh!" is a word taken from pop-culture (The Simpsons!) and is like saying "Oops!" but in a more oafish way.

laepelba
April 24, 2009, 02:33 PM
DOH! It's one of my favorite sayings!! :) (Because I have to say it A LOT!!)

CrOtALiTo
April 25, 2009, 11:36 AM
We're far away... and I don't like flying :eek::eek:

Do you know about a saying that it says (The distance never will be an impediment.

Then if you are so far away to me, it does not matter because the distance does not make the different.:D

irmamar
April 25, 2009, 11:42 AM
Do you know about a saying that it says (The distance never will be a impediment.

Then if you are so far away to me, it does not matter because the distance does not the different.:D

Sometimes I don't understand you, and please, don't get angry again :sad:

¿Cómo lo dirías en español?, ¿algo así como la distancia no es/hace la diferencia? :confused:

CrOtALiTo
April 25, 2009, 11:53 AM
Sometimes I don't understand you, and please, don't get angry again :sad:

¿Cómo lo dirías en español?, ¿algo así como la distancia no es/hace la diferencia? :confused:

La distancia nunca sera un impedimento.

I don't know Why did you can understand me.?

You tell me. My English is bad.:thinking:

irmamar
April 25, 2009, 12:36 PM
La distancia nunca sera un impedimento.

I don't know Why did you can understand me.?

You tell me. My English is bad.:thinking:

I must beg your pardon, but it's true, I don't understand you when you write in English, sorry! That's the reason because I told you that you made me laugh (or better, smile) because I remember a little child starting speaking when I read your posts. Anyway, I know I haven't a good English either. But it's hard for me to understand you when you write in English.

CrOtALiTo
April 25, 2009, 12:52 PM
I must beg your pardon, but it's true, I don't understand you when you write in English, sorry! That's the reason because I told you that you made me laugh (or better, smile) because I remember a little child starting speaking when I read your posts. Anyway, I know I haven't a good English either. But it's hard for me to understand you when you write in English.

At least I made you laugh and it's good.

irmamar
April 25, 2009, 01:02 PM
At least I made you laugh and it's good.

Well, I have no words. The other day you got angry when I said this and now you're happy. May be you are a bit rare. :)

CrOtALiTo
April 25, 2009, 01:08 PM
Well, I have no words. The other day you got angry when I said this and now you're happy. May be you are a bit rare. :)

Maybe, Maybe not.

You got angry with my words?

I'm happy as a beanpole.:D

irmamar
April 25, 2009, 02:10 PM
Maybe, Maybe not.

You got angry with my words?

I'm happy as a beanpole.:D

No, I told you that I didn't get angry easily, though I'm a prudent person.

What does a beanpole mean? :confused:

CrOtALiTo
April 25, 2009, 02:44 PM
I guess that lombriz.

Rusty
April 27, 2009, 11:02 PM
Estar feliz como una lombriz (literally, to be happy as a worm) is an idiomatic expression, Luis. You must find an equivalent expression in English instead of trying to translate the expression literally. We never say we're happy as a worm in English.
Look here (http://www.tomisimo.org/idioms/es/mas-feliz-que-una-lombriz-804.html) for a suitable equivalent.

A beanpole is a pole (un poste) used to support the vine(s) of a bean plant. I believe you say emparrado for a beanpole. The word, in English, can be used to describe a tall and slender (alto y espigado) person:
He's as skinny as a beanpole.

CrOtALiTo
April 28, 2009, 07:40 AM
The my answer must to be I'm happy as a clam.

I didn't know anything about the word beanpole, because I found the word inside of the dictionary from Tomismo and the result was beanpole for lombriz, I'd like that if you can check it in the dictionary for that the people does not make confuse between the words or meanings.

chileno
April 28, 2009, 08:35 AM
The my answer must to be I'm happy as a clam.

I didn't know anything about the word beanpole, because I found the word inside of the dictionary from Tomismo and the result was beanpole for lombriz, I'd like that if you can check it in the dictionary for that the people does not make confuse between the words or meanings.

Your English has improved a lot from two months ago. Keep at it.

:)

CrOtALiTo
April 28, 2009, 11:09 AM
Your English has improved a lot from two months ago. Keep at it.

:)

Thank you for commentary.

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org