View Single Post
Old November 04, 2012, 11:53 AM
Opal

usariodelforo is on a distinguished road
I'm always at a loss for examples when I have to give them, but I'm not short of any when I run into them in stories! Let's see....well, let me put it this way: If "rus" is declined like magna, mangus,magnum, then the genetive of "urus" would be "uri" but in English I gather that would mean "of about to do." That sounds awkward to me....

I found an example! jajaja:

"Graeci nautae, visuri Polyphemum, tremunt." So, apparently this reads: "The Greek sailors, about to see Polyphemus, tremble." But my question is, why is "visuri" in the genetive and not put as "visurus" as the nominative? And why does it not read "of about to see" if it's in the genetive?

That's the part of the declension of participles that I don't get. Any help?

Just an update....The "visuri" in the sentence is in the nominative, plural, male, not the genetive, singular, male! So that clears things up.

But I'm still at a loss for an example where there would be a genetive, singular in the "urus". I don't know how that would read in English. Maybe someone else can provide an example of that...

Last edited by Rusty; November 04, 2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts