View Single Post
Old October 23, 2018, 01:24 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymetal View Post
I think the problem is that there are some things in Spanish that just don't sound right in English. Kind of like, "se come bien aquí." If you try translating that directly, it sounds really weird. Is this one of those cases?
It's really hard to find expressions or constructions that will have an only translation from one language into another, but definitely the uses of "se" are particularly difficult.
For an "easier" translation, impersonal sentences like "se come bien aquí" may also be expressed with another impersonal subject like "uno" --"uno come bien aquí" ("One eats well here") or "la gente" ("People eats well here").

In the case of this use of the subjunctive, most of the times you may translate to sentences with "let".
A friend of mine says she started to find the logic when she compared "May the force be with you" with "Que la fuerza te acompañe" and "God save the queen" with "Que dios salve a la reina". Maybe you'll find this tip useful too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymetal View Post
También un amigo mío me dijo que "que + subjuntivo" es una forma abreviada de decir "quiero que, ojalá que" o siempre es así?
Sí, más o menos. Las oraciones que comienzan con "que + subjuntivo" con frecuencia omiten un verbo que en contexto se vuelve innecesario:

- (Deseo) que tengas un buen día. -> (I hope you'll/may you) have a nice day.
- (Quiero) que desaparezcan mis vecinos. -> I want my neighbours to disappear. -> Let my neighbours disappear
- (Ojalá) que llueva. -> Hopefully it will rain. -> May it rain.
- (Espero) que tengas un muy feliz cumpleaños. -> (I wish you will/may you) have a very happy birthday.
- (No me interesa) que se acabe el mundo. -> Let the world end.
- (Ordeno) que comiencen los juegos. -> Let the games begin.
- (Necesito/deseo/espero) que hoy me paguen. -> May they pay me today.