Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Hardest thing for you learning a new language?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old May 08, 2009, 10:09 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
As you ca say that the Spanish is better for you than the English that is your native language.

Unlike of other languages I believe that the English is easier than other ones.

But your commentary about it's very weir.
When I say that it makes me sense I mean spanish is more consistent then english, like with the "h" always being silent in spanish, its easier because its always silent

But in english sometimes letters are silent and sometimes they are not so when your learning it sometimes you might have to guess if its silent or not
like with the word .. "know" the "k" is silent but in "kitchen" its not

also theres alot of double letters in english that are not in spanish, like "necessary" compared to the spanish "necesita"

theres alot of these things I notice that seem to make it easier, you know what I mean?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 08, 2009, 11:26 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
When I say that it makes me sense I mean spanish is more consistent then english, like with the "h" always being silent in spanish, its easier because its always silent

But in english sometimes letters are silent and sometimes they are not so when your learning it sometimes you might have to guess if its silent or not
like with the word .. "know" the "k" is silent but in "kitchen" its not

also theres alot of double letters in english that are not in spanish, like "necessary" compared to the spanish "necesita"

theres alot of these things I notice that seem to make it easier, you know what I mean?

I understand you mate.

I hope you have good luck with your learning.
Old May 08, 2009, 11:37 PM
Ruby

Native Language: U.S. English
AutumnBreeze is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
¡Gran consejo Rusty! ¡Piensas es el mejor mirar un película en español con subtitulos (español) o sin el subtitulos?

Me recomendas algunas películas españolas para mi mirar. Yo acabé de mirar Laberinto de Pan, y El Orfanato, me los amaron.
I've heard a lot about Pan's Labyrinth. I'll check this one out as well .
Old June 07, 2009, 03:27 AM
Opal

Celestemmcknight is on a distinguished road
Hardest thing for you learning a new language

you seem to know English. In my opinion, the best way to learn any language is to learn from a person who already speaks it. Im guessing you know Japanese, since shes your friend, try teaching her English.
Old June 08, 2009, 10:35 AM
Emerald

Native Language: British English
brute is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestemmcknight View Post
you seem to know English. In my opinion, the best way to learn any language is to learn from a person who already speaks it. Im guessing you know Japanese, since shes your friend, try teaching her English.
It seems that every language is easy in some parts and difficult in others. In some areas Japanese is very simple once you know how to read and write it!!
1 It uses about 2000 Chinese (Kanji) characters which are really elaborate pictograms. Each of them usually has two completely different interpretations.
Howevever there are 3 other writing systems called syllabaries (not exactly alphabets) which can be used to write every possible Japanese sound. There are only 46 different syllables in Japanese ,each one having its own phonetic sign.
1 Hirugana - used for Japanese words - Curved characters
2 Katakana - used for imported words (mainly English) - spikey letters
3 Romanji - Roman alphabet used for teaching learners whose native language is European.

A syllable is either a vowel or a consonant + a vowel. There are many sounds in English that are never heard in Japanese. Every word must end in a vowel (exception "n").
Romanji is pronounced as in Italian.
Like French, Japanese pronounces all syllables with even stress pattern.
The language is full of puns and ambiguities.
Nouns are very easy to use: no gender, no number, no definite and indefinite articles. Example "E" can mean a picture, the picture or a whole gallery full of them.
Verbs are very simple to learn. They do not conjugate and there are very few tenses. No subjunctives etc.
Numbers can be complicated as there are two comletely different counting systems!
Many adjectives are used as in English or Spanish,but others take verbal endings!

Japan has adopted many English words which sound very differnt in Japanese.
Airurando - Ireland boifurendo - boyfriend boringu - bowling gorufu - golf etc...

A very interesting language. I studied it for a year in the distant past.
Old June 08, 2009, 12:31 PM
Diamond

I guess you know write Chinese and also I guess that you speak the Japan, I don't now anything that languages but they are hard to learn to pronoun, because they have much symbols that I can't understand, also the Russian is hard to lean something, you in your previous post said about the symbols within of the languages as example you placed the language Chinese, and well, I found interesting the investigation that you made about it, in fact in Spanish there are symbols that are necessary for some kind to words in the language, but well, each language has different symbols.

Thank you for share this information with us.

Sincerely yours.

I hope you understand my own view point.

If you have doubt about my thought, please you ask me.
Old June 08, 2009, 04:53 PM
Emerald

Native Language: British English
brute is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I guess you know write Chinese and also I guess that you speak the Japan, I don't now anything that languages but they are hard to learn to pronoun, because they have much symbols that I can't understand, also the Russian is hard to lean something, you in your previous post said about the symbols within of the languages as example you placed the language Chinese, and well, I found interesting the investigation that you made about it, in fact in Spanish there are symbols that are necessary for some kind to words in the language, but well, each language has different symbols.

Thank you for share this information with us.

Sincerely yours.
You can learn a lot of Japanese by using our Latin alphabet called romanji.

If you can learn katakana you will be able to read many English words which they use. There are just 46 simple letters which make all the sounds in Japanese.

Kanji are very difficult. It is useful to recognise some of them. i can only read a few of them.

The Russian (Cyrilic) alphabet uses Latin letters, Greek letters and some extra ones. Some of the Latin letters are used to make different sounds.

(PECTOPAHT = RESTAURANT)

I hope this helps.
Old June 08, 2009, 10:23 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
laughingwithfee is on a distinguished road
The hardest thing for me when learning a new language is definitely conversations. I can learn verb conjugations, nouns, etc. quickly and remember them, but when asked to do a conversation, I have a very hard time of it.
Old June 08, 2009, 10:51 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by brute View Post
You can learn a lot of Japanese by using our Latin alphabet called romanji.

If you can learn katakana you will be able to read many English words which they use. There are just 46 simple letters which make all the sounds in Japanese.

Kanji are very difficult. It is useful to recognise some of them. i can only read a few of them.

The Russian (Cyrilic) alphabet uses Latin letters, Greek letters and some extra ones. Some of the Latin letters are used to make different sounds.

(PECTOPAHT = RESTAURANT)

I hope this helps.
Yes, I guess that nail of the learning is learn everything about the phonetic first than other thing, but I believe hard learn if you don't understand so well the language, also are there people who learn the language faster than others one, then unlike of the languages easier as the Spanish and English also the Portuguese.

Whatever I believe hard the Chinese.
Old June 08, 2009, 10:55 PM
Pearl

ElDanés is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brute
(PECTOPAHT = RESTAURANT)
Just to get everything straight, the correct spelling is ресторан.

Tags
hardest thing

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: