Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Uses of "se"

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old January 29, 2010, 05:06 PM
Opal

cmromano is on a distinguished road
Uses of "se"

I was reading a newspaper article and I came across a couple sentences with the use of "se" that I could not rationalize. Can someone tell me why "se" is used, giving me a gramatical explanation and what the segment in the bold type translates into. Thank you, your help is very much appreciated.

A la renuncia el lunes Ramón Carrizález, vicepresidente y ministro de Defensa y de su esposa, Yuribí Ortega, ministra de Ambiente se le sumó ayer la dimisión del presidente de estatal Banco de Venezuela, Eugenio Vazquez Orellana que a su vez tiene el cargo de ministro de Estado para la Banca Pública.
En la sede del canal oficial se encontraron con los estudiantes opositores quienes que acudieron a protestar por el manejo que se da allí a la información.
No obstante, cree que esta vez las cosas no serán tan fáciles y podrían salírsele de las manos.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 29, 2010, 09:08 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmromano View Post
I was reading a newspaper article and I came across a couple sentences with the use of "se" that I could not rationalize. Can someone tell me why "se" is used, giving me a gramatical explanation and what the segment in the bold type translates into. Thank you, your help is very much appreciated.

A la renuncia el lunes Ramón Carrizález, vicepresidente y ministro de Defensa y de su esposa, Yuribí Ortega, ministra de Ambiente se le sumó ayer la dimisión del presidente de estatal Banco de Venezuela, Eugenio Vazquez Orellana que a su vez tiene el cargo de ministro de Estado para la Banca Pública.
En la sede del canal oficial se encontraron con los estudiantes opositores quienes que acudieron a protestar por el manejo que se da allí a la información.
No obstante, cree que esta vez las cosas no serán tan fáciles y podrían salírsele de las manos.
Before getting a grammar explanation. Could you please translate that to English?
Old January 30, 2010, 12:22 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmromano View Post

- Sumarse: pronominal
- Darse: pronominal
- Salirse: pronominal

Look here

Salírsele de las manos: to get out of hand, out of control?
Old January 30, 2010, 12:34 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
POR IRMAMAR
Instead of saying: El niño no come.
You can say: El niño no me come.
No lo entiendo con "me" He doesn´t he for me / doesn´t eat when I want himt to

(Sorry, I used the most know example of dativo ético, and here "se" is not used. Another example:

Juan comió la paella.
Juan se comió la paella.)

- Se en verbos pronominales: some verbs add "se" and they are called pronominales: arrepentirse, caerse, quejarse. The pronoun is compulsory. There are some verbs which are strictly pronominals (as arrepentirse), but there are another ones which can be used with "se"or not (and sometimes they change their meaning):
Gracias por clarificarlo

Siempre se arrepiente de sus acciones.
El niño se duerme.
El niño duerme.
Old January 30, 2010, 12:43 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
What's that? ¿Te gusta el infinito?

"El niño no me come" is a very common sentence said by mothers when their children do not eat enough. The correct sentence is "el niño no come", but as a mother loves her son so much, "me" is added to emphasize. This sentence is the most clear example when one studies "dativo ético" (also called "superfluo" because it's not necessary), that's because the sentence came to my mind (and I didn't realise that I was talking about "se).

If I said "el niño no me come", literally I could translate into English as: "the child doesn't eat to me"
Old January 30, 2010, 12:51 AM
Diamond

bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
What's that? ¿Te gusta el infinito?

"El niño no me come" is a very common sentence said by mothers when their children do not eat enough. The correct sentence is "el niño no come", but as a mother loves her son so much, "me" is added to emphasize. This sentence is the most clear example when one studies "dativo ético" (also called "superfluo" because it's not necessary), that's because the sentence came to my mind (and I didn't realise that I was talking about "se).

If I said "el niño no me come", literally I could translate into English as: "the child doesn't eat to me"
GRacias, no encontraba la tecla "----------" y me ponía aterrar
Old January 30, 2010, 02:21 AM
Diamond

Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
True, that is very literal. The ethic dative is used when the person in the dative is somehow affected by the event, so here, the mother is troubled if the child doesn't eat. It is important to realise that the dative case is not just for indirect objects, but has accumulated all kinds of functions from other cases which have been lost (locative, instrumental, etc.). It is particularly difficult to spot in Spanish, because there is no difference between the form of me for the direct object (accusative case) and the indirect object (dative), whereas in sensible (joke) languages, the difference is clear (e.g. German: mich, mir). (Personally, I think it outrageous to have an ethic dative with no unambiguous dative ending on the word, and I wish to protest.)

A more meaningful literal translation would be "the child doesn't eat for me"
Old January 30, 2010, 11:18 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
True, that is very literal. The ethic dative is used when the person in the dative is somehow affected by the event, so here, the mother is troubled if the child doesn't eat. It is important to realise that the dative case is not just for indirect objects, but has accumulated all kinds of functions from other cases which have been lost (locative, instrumental, etc.). It is particularly difficult to spot in Spanish, because there is no difference between the form of me for the direct object (accusative case) and the indirect object (dative), whereas in sensible (joke) languages, the difference is clear (e.g. German: mich, mir). (Personally, I think it outrageous to have an ethic dative with no unambiguous dative ending on the word, and I wish to protest.)

A more meaningful literal translation would be "the child doesn't eat for me"
Didn't you tell me that "wish" is used when there is no possibility of something? Then, you can go on "wishing"

Why "for me"? ¿No come para mí? Do you mean "in my opinion"?
Old January 30, 2010, 11:30 AM
Pearl

gramatica is on a distinguished road
Hi,

El niño no me come=The child will not eat for me(esta vez o en el futuro)/The child doesn't eat for me(siempre)

It is like this sentence, I think:

Me es difícil=Para mí, es difícil=It is difficult for me

I hope this helps
Old January 30, 2010, 11:38 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramatica View Post
Hi,

El niño no me come=The child will not eat for me(esta vez o en el futuro)/The child doesn't eat for me(siempre)

It is like this sentence, I think:

Me es difícil=Para mí, es difícil=It is difficult for me

I hope this helps
I understand "for me" in the second sentence (it's difficult for me). But I can't understand it in the first one.

Sometimes we say to a child (when one is feeding him/her):

Esta cucharada para para papá; esta, para mamá.

Is it something similar?

And about "for me" and "to me", may I use both of them or "for me" is better than "to me"?

Thanks.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: