View Single Post

Old August 16, 2008, 12:40 PM
Pearl

ElDanés is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo
[...] and even though I have never studied Danish, this orients me to a lot of the basics of the language. For example the pronouns are very similar to German pronouns and in fact I see a lot of similarity both in structure and vocabulary with German and English. Like the way numbers work: (German) vier und fünfzig (54, litterally four and fifty).
Yes, that's true. Danish is close to both of them on many points. I used to study German myself, and both the grammar and vocabulary is identical in many cases, like you noted yourself. And the same for English.

Quote:
I'd love to see a few more sample sentences in Danish, with a literal (word-for-word) translation, along with a real translation of meaning. That would also help me get an idea of word order and get a feeling for the language.
It's getting a bit late, so I will post the sentences tomorrow. If you want to, you can send me some sentences through PM, and I will translate them.

Quote:
One question: de is the personal pronoun for they (3rd person plural), but it's also used for the formal 2nd person singular and plural?
Notice how the formal version has an uppercase D. Many people do not realize it, but it's wrong to write the formal De, with a lowercase d. It's the same with the plural second person informal, I, it's simply wrong to write it, i. It's like the rule German has on nouns and their uppercase starting letters.
Some examples with the usage of de and De:
  • Hvad laver De her? => What are you (one person, formally) doing here?
  • Hvad laver De her? => What are you (multiple persons, formally) doing here?
  • Hvad laver de her? => What are they doing here?
You will still have to figure out the amount of people from the context, when using the formal De, like you see in the examples, but that's normally easy.

Quote:
Another neat thing would be to hear some sample pronunciation to go along with this. When I read about the personal pronouns and read jeg I read it as /djeg/, which from the description would be wrong, and should be something like /djai/.
I forgot to mention how the j is pronounced, I did only concentrate on the -eg part, sorry. The j is not pronounced with the d-sound, like in English, but more with the English y. So, /yai/ would be more correct.

Quote:
ElDanés, I know it might be asking for too much, but if you had a chance to record a couple samples, I would love it. Feel free to upload them as attachments to a post and then (if they are mp3s) they will appear in an mp3 player right in the post. Of course if you don't have time to do it that's ok too.

But I would love to hear the pronunciation of the personal pronouns and a few sample sentences.
I'm just glad that someone is actually interested!
I will love to record some samples, but I don't have the right equipment. I have however a so-called MP4-Player (cheap Chinese technology) which can record MP3-files, but like all other cheap technologies, I'm having troubles with it. I will take a look on it tomorrow though, and see if I can get it working.

If I get it working, how shall I record it? Shall I record it in rigsdansk (i.e. formal/standard/official Danish) or in the dialect I speak (which is a bit different when it comes to pronunciation)? Maybe both?

Quote:
Double-thumbs up to you ElDanés y gracias por tomar el tiempo para escribir esto.
ˇGracias, David - y ningún problemas!

Last edited by ElDanés; August 16, 2008 at 12:50 PM.